Monday, September 19, 2011

WELCOME TO THE WORKING WEEK







I am constantly learning how drastically life can change in an instant. From one day to the next, there can be no certainty that the things you anticipate, or even expect, will happen. Our shows were cancelled this weekend after some terrible news brought an actor back to his family home in Argentina. We are scrambling in last minute rehearsals so the understudy can go on next week, but the spirit in the theater has changed entirely. As they say, the show must go on, but we are more concerned for the person than the play. With this news, I am immediately transported back - to the same time last year - when my family dealt with a similar tragedy. A very wise actor in the play sat me down yesterday. I was visibly upset by the ordeal, especially because my relationship with this departed actor was more than professional. She told me that there are times in life when the universe, or whatever you believe in, immerses you in an important lesson. Without any shadow of a doubt, the lesson, in my case, has been of loss. She reminded me that even the themes of the play dealt with life, death, dying, and dreams. For some reason or another, the fact that - for almost a full year - I have been confronted with mortality, grief, and loss on so many emotional, physical, psychological levels, would someday become clear. Until then, she said, I would have to be strong for myself and for the people I care for and appreciate the depth of character I'd earn for doing so. I'm grateful for the clarity she brought me, but it does not make the situation any less tragic. Of course, our thoughts are with him and his family in Argentina and, in the meantime, the show must go on - I guess we've reverted back to the days of constant rehearsals and no free-time. Welcome to the working week.

photos via: hoodoothatvoodoo

No comments:

Post a Comment