Wednesday, March 30, 2011

NOTE TO SELF


In a scene-study class last night, we arrived to the intimidating question: why are you here? Why had we chosen acting - or anything else, for that matter - as a professional path? The room swelled with lofty answers about spirituality and passion, to which I roll my eyes. I don't doubt the sincerity of those answers, but there has to be something more honest. It became clear that, for me, the beauty of film - as a sum of its parts - is story. The art of storytelling is ultimately most fascinating to me. Whether you inhabit the life of another person as an actor, conceive of a world as a writer, or compose a visual narrative as a director, the different roles have a similar goal: to convey story in a truthful, emotional, honest, interesting, and (let's not forget) entertaining way.

No comments:

Post a Comment